Development and Communications ManagerCompany: Ballet Kelowna
Date Posted: July 22, 2015
Development and Communications Manager
Application Deadline: August 15, 2015
Ballet Kelowna welcomes applications for the position of a full-time permanent Development and Communications Manager, to begin September 1, 2015.
While embracing Ballet Kelowna’s commitment to excellence, the Development and Communications Manager will cultivate long-term relationships and partnerships with all community stakeholders. Reporting directly to the AD/CEO, the Development and Communications Manager will be involved in all aspects of fundraising for Ballet Kelowna, and will plan and execute the development strategy for both corporate and individual giving. The Development and Communications Manager will also prepare and submit grant applications, including the research of and application for new grant opportunities. The successful candidate will be required to perform a variety of communications-related tasks, as detailed further below.
- Participate in the planning of annual and long-term development strategies working towards increasing revenue and broadening the donor base (individual, corporate and foundation)
- Research prospects for new and renewing donors at all levels (individual, corporate and foundation)
- Focus on cultivating and acquiring new annual donors through direct marketing channels, prospecting, and member referrals
- Organize and assist in the management and execution of donor events
- Develop, plan and implement Ballet Kelowna’s cultivation and stewardship programming, which includes producing thank you letters and calling donors with thanks
- Prepare sponsorship proposals and appropriate benefits
- Prepare foundation proposals
- Prepare and submit grant applications as required
- Maintain accurate and up-to-date donor, sponsorship, and grant records in the company’s database
- Run and analyze reports from the company’s database
- Assist with the collection and tracking of statistical information for reporting purposes
- Assist with Board-related events and meeting coordination as required
- Participate in the Ballet Kelowna’s Fundraising Committee
- Organize and supervise in-studio and theatre receptions
- Assist with box office and front of house duties for all Ballet Kelowna performances
- Participate in the planning of annual and long-term communications strategies working towards increasing awareness of the Company’s activities
- Assist with media relations including coordinating media appearances and event listings
- Work with the AD/CEO to produce written communications including bi-monthly e-newsletters, letters, news releases, surveys, and speeches
- Assist in the development and implementation of the Company’s social media marketing plan and post communications to Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as outlined in the 2015/16 plan and schedule
- Maintain and update Ballet Kelowna’s website
- Assist with the design of all marketing and promotional materials, including fundraising campaign brochures, donor and sponsorship packages, subscription brochures, program pamphlets, and advertisements
- Collect, analyze and summarize survey data.
The Development and Communications Manager must at all times:
- Be committed to familiarizing themselves with Company rules and regulations
- Maintain and communicate a positive image of the Company in all dealings both internally and externally
- Regardless of time constraints and demands on time, remain professional and convey an attitude of helpfulness and concern
- Demonstrate initiative and autonomy
- Recognize overlap between positions, and understand when flexibility is required.
The Development and Communications Manager will be required to undertake such duties as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the position. All members of staff are required to be professional, co-operative and flexible in line with the needs of the Company.
- A related college or university degree and recent fundraising and development experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Successful track record with grant proposals and fundraising targets
- The ability to think creatively, work independently, and take initiative
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to handle competing priorities in a small, fast-paced work environment
- Proven ability in building and maintaining long-term relationships
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and database programs such as Salesforce
- The availability to work flexible hours, including occasional evenings and weekends
- An optimistic personality and enjoys finding solutions to everyday challenges
- Assets: experience in marketing and communications; understands CRA guidelines
About Ballet Kelowna:
Founded in 2003, and under the leadership of Artistic Director and CEO Simone Orlando since September 2014, Ballet Kelowna brings excellent, inspiring and memorable dance to Kelowna and the Canadian west. Ballet Kelowna, through its touring, school performances and outreach activities has visited more than 60 communities in Western Canada and fulfills its mandate to commission new work from emerging and established Canadian choreographers, while also presenting masterworks from the world’s ballet canon.
How to Apply:
Submit a resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in this job opportunity. Please e-mail Simone Orlando, Artistic Director and CEO at email@example.com by August 15, 2015. All submissions will be kept confidential and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.