General Manager, Fund DevelopmentCompany: YMCA of Okanagan
Date Posted: May 5, 2015
About the YMCA of Okanagan:
YMCA Okanagan is a registered charity dedicated to building a community in which children and families reach their full potential. We achieve this by bringing people together to create supportive, inclusive and welcoming communities aimed at advancing the health and wellbeing of kids, individuals and families at all ages and stages. The YMCA has three areas of focus: helping children and families thrive, promoting healthy living, and fostering belonging and connection.
YMCA Okanagan programs provide experiences to over 45,000 individuals annually in the areas of health, fitness & recreation, childcare, day camping and outdoor education, employment and residential camping. With an annual operating budget of $13.8M, the YMCA employs 300 full and part time staff and engages 200 volunteers.
The YMCA Okanagan head office is based in the City of Kelowna; situated about 400 km east of Vancouver in the Okanagan Valley. With an area population of almost 200,000, the city is located on Lake Okanagan, and is renowned for its spectacular lake and mountain setting, vineyards, and range of recreational opportunities, such as skiing, hiking, sailing, and beaches. Kelowna weather offers hot, dry summers and mild winters.
Nature and Scope:
The YMCA of Okanagan Fund Development team is responsible to develop a philanthropic culture that supports a comprehensive approach to fund development. Planned areas of growth over the next 3 years include increasing annual support fundraising from $525,000 to $750,000, with an emphasis on donor engagement and stewardship, increasing the major gift donor base, and developing a planned giving program. Planning and execution of a capital fundraising campaign to expand YMCA programs is a longer term focus.
The General Manager, Fund Development is a dynamic and dedicated professional who brings strategic focus, leadership and urgency in securing charitable contributions that support the YMCA’s mission and vision. Reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer, s/he is a member of the Association’s Executive Leadership Team, and is responsible for all fundraising efforts including annual campaigns, major gifts, corporate and foundation grants, stewardship programs, planned giving, and, in the event of a future major capital program, capital campaign planning and leadership. The role of the General Manager, Funds Development includes responsibility for the development and management of a personal portfolio of leadership and major gift donors consisting of individuals, corporations and foundations, as well as providing leadership and support to various volunteer Campaign Councils.
The successful candidate is a seasoned and respected development professional with specific knowledge and experience in building major gift, planned giving and donor stewardship programs. This individual is values-driven and believes passionately in the vital role that the YMCA can, and does, play in the community.
Key qualifications, attributes, skills and experience for this position include:
- At least 7 years of broad, progressive development experience, with at least 2 years in a senior leadership role
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of financial development;
- A demonstrated ability in developing and implementing successful strategies for identification, cultivation, and solicitation of individual and organization donors;
- Excellent leader, facilitator, relationship builder and project manager;
- Demonstrated ability in working effectively in a collaborative team culture;
- High energy level, dynamic, resourceful, and results-oriented, with a demonstrated track record of striving to meet and exceed extraordinary goals;
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills;
- Experience in Raiser’s Edge or similar donor relations software an asset
- Polished and persuasive individual who is able to operate comfortably at all social levels;
- In-depth knowledge of legislation impacting fundraising;
- A post graduate degree and CFRE designation is preferred, as is knowledge of the philanthropic landscape in the Okanagan.
Interested applicants are invited to submit, via email or mail, a letter of application along with resume to:
Sharon Peterson, Chief Executive Officer
YMCA of Okanagan
375 Hartman Road, Kelowna BC V1X 2M9