Director of Development- Annual GivingCompany: Thompson Rivers University
Date Posted: June 4, 2018
TRU’s Advancement Office provides a critical role of philanthropy. The Office is charged with maximizing the financial gift support to the institution by seeking private contributions in order to increase the margin of excellence of its educational and research programs.
Reporting to the Director of Advancement, the Director Development, Annual Giving is a new role to assist the University with its annual giving goals (dollars raised, percentage of participation, donor acquisition, donor retention, and leadership giving), goal of increasing philanthropic revenue, and growing the overall donor base.
The Director of Development – Annual Giving is a member of the senior Advancement team responsible for driving the delivery of the University’s annual giving program and will also manager high quality and effective Advancement communications projects and other philanthropic activities for gifts under $25,000.
The position will also actively support the development and delivery of programs and events to strengthen engagement with alumni, parents, grandparents, friends and benefactors and build productive relationships. The position will also be responsible for the direct supervision of student callers for the annual phone campaign, securing sponsorship and auction items for all Advancement Events, and maintain and update the University’s social media channels.
As an integral member of the Advancement senior leadership team, the Director provides leadership, support and direction across a wide range of areas:
- Develop and implement a comprehensive year-long giving solicitation strategy, including direct mail, the TRU Day of Giving, student calling campaign, monthly giving programs, e-solicitations, central stewardship, on-campus giving campaign and other initiatives.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for donor retention and upgrading for annual giving donors.
- Develop and execute a leadership (mid-level) giving campaign plan to upgrade current and past annual donors, and acquire new $1,000-$24,999 donors primarily through independent personal contact, targeted appeals, and strategic segmentation.
- Research best practices and ideas for engaging young donors and new donors, with a focus on participation and acquisition.
- Engage alumni and new donors through giving societies (loyalty society) and impact communications, with the ultimate goal of acquiring and retaining donors and displaying the impact of giving.
- Manages a large personal portfolio of donor prospects with the goal of identifying, qualifying, cultivating, soliciting and stewarding leadership gift ($1,000-$24,999) prospects.
- Write proposals, donor solicitation letters, and grant application forms to secure sponsors for major TRU events and oversee all major TRU auctions and raffles including the tracking of Foundation donor prizes and completing appropriate gift in kind forms.
- Collaborate with the creative and production teams within marketing and also to develop and successfully execute annual giving campaigns.
- Works with committees of volunteers to develop prospects to approach for sponsorship on various events (phone calls & face to face meetings).
- Hire, train, coordinate and supervise students in the Alumni Connection and Donor Appreciation Assistant positions during the annual calling campaign.
- Train and coordinate the work of auxiliary, work-study students and co-op students as required.
- Develop and manage new digital and web-based campaigns to increase annual income via the web.
- Responsible for making sure committed sponsorship funds are received.
- Liaise with the Manager of Alumni Relations Engagement to create a coordinated alumni cultivation and solicitation and engagement annual giving program.
- Track performance metrics to measure ROI of each marketing campaign; prepare and distribute reports to management
- University degree in a related field
- Minimum 5 years or more experience in fundraising