Development Contract PositionCompany: Okanagan Regional Library
Date Posted: July 30, 2017
Development Contract Position with the Okanagan Regional Library
The Okanagan Regional Library (ORL) was founded in 1936 and currently serves over 370,000 residents of the BC Southern Interior through 29 branches and online. The ORL is governed by a Board of Directors comprised of political appointees in the communities we serve and is primarily funded through the local tax base, with some support from other levels of government.
Our libraries are a place for knowledge, opportunities and personal development. Now more than ever, access to lifelong learning and technology is essential to help people transform their lives. The ORL has a vital role to play in providing that access freely and equitably.
Like post-secondary institutions and hospitals, libraries across Canada are recognizing that private investment from donors and partners can make a tremendous difference in achieving their goals and for long-term financial sustainability. The ORL a registered charity and has received financial contributions from individuals, Friends of the Library groups, service clubs and businesses in the past. The ORL Board has approved a pilot project to hire a fund development professional on a part-time basis to expand the organization’s revenue from these sources. The initial budget for this project is $25,000 per year for 3 years, with opportunities to review and revise based on annual outcomes.
For 2017, the ORL wants to recruit a fund development professional to begin mid-late August.
The Development Contractor will be an independent contractor, and can work from home or at the ORL’s Administration Centre in Kelowna. A certain amount of time would be spend at the Admin Centre or at ORL branch locations for meetings, events and collaborating with ORL staff.
The Development Contractor will be supervised by the ORL’s CEO, and work collaboratively and closely with other ORL staff, including the Marketing and Communications Manager, the Finance Manager, other Management team members, and Branch Heads/Community Librarians.
The Fund Development Contractor will build on guidelines, policies, infrastructure and relationships already created at the ORL to raise revenue for strategic library system goals, specifically:
- Development and promotion of a planned giving program, including facilitating bequests, memorial gifts, and ORL endowments at local community foundations. Connecting with financial and estate planning professionals to build awareness of these opportunities.
- A major capital campaign for the revitalization of the downtown Kelowna library branch.
- Promoting the online donations page on the ORL website and oversight of donor management software.
- Provide guidance and support to the work of our Friends of the Library groups, in order to help their efforts achieve more.
- Work with individuals, corporations and local business, granting organizations and service clubs to build a funding base
- Explore and provide guidance to the ORL on other development activities such as grant-writing, sponsorships, and in-house revenue generation
Scope of Work could include:
- Engage with current donors and partners of the ORL to build awareness of ORL’s strategic goals and fundraising plans
- Prospect, cultivate and solicit new fund development opportunities in collaboration with ORL Board and staff; monitor external markets and trends to identify new partnership opportunities
- Steward relationships with existing donors and report impact of contributions back to the community
- Develop, prepare and supports presentation of proposals, and negotiate mutually-beneficial partnerships
- Engage volunteers for special fund development projects and events
- Liaise with local community foundations on partnerships and promotion of ORL endowment funds
Promotion of Fund Development Opportunities:
- Coordinate with Board and staff to attend various meetings and fundraising events to represent the ORL
- Coordinate with the Marketing and Communications Manager to liaise with media to promote fundraising efforts and opportunities
- Coordinate the design, printing and distribution of marketing and communication materials for development efforts
- Work with Marketing staff and the Virtual Branch Manager to maintain and update fundraising information on the ORL website
Reporting and Training:
- Monitor and evaluate fundraising activities, and prepare reports to the Board and staff on progress
- Support administration of the eTapestry (Blackbaud) donor database and maintain confidential records
- Foster an understanding of philanthropy within the organization and support staff and Board training on fund development principles
- Implement the fund development plans in accordance with ethical fundraising principles and ORL Board policy
Qualifications and Relevant Qualities:
- University degree, or mix of training and professional development in a relevant field, preferably fundraising; CFRE designation an asset
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in fundraising with demonstrated success
- Knowledge and experience in most types of fundraising initiatives including major gifts, planned giving, direct mail, special events, sponsorships and grant writing
- Strong understanding of donor stewardship
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain partnerships and relationships with donors and the community
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal; ability to communicate in a tactful, discreet and professional manner
- High proficiency in MS Office and the Internet, plus understanding of donor management software and social media
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to multi-task, meet deadlines and time management
- Strong organizational skills and ability to exercise initiative and sound judgement
- Able to work independently as a contractor, and also to collaborate with ORL team members on specific projects
Inquiries and applications can be sent to email@example.com